“A school is not made up of bricks and mortar, it is made of the life built up within its walls.”
Miss Violet Markham C.H., J.P.
A Brief History of Cavendish Junior School
September 1895 the “Newbold & Dunston Edmund Street Council School” building opened. It appears to have been an all-age school for boys and girls.
June 1912 the school becomes the “Edmund Street Girls’ and Infants’ School”. The number of girls on roll equalled 290.
September 1928 the name “Cavendish” is given to the girls’ school by the Duchess of Devonshire. The comment seen at the top of this page is slightly amended from one Violet Markham made on this occasion.
1931 the school is altered and amended for the sum of £3,400.
September 1970 the school becomes Cavendish Junior School.